Parents as Teachers Description: The Parent as Teachers Parent Educator is to partner with assigned families to provide personal instruction, demonstrate appropriate educational activities, and deliver research based printed materials to parent regarding child development and related issues. Parent Educators will also administer child developmental screenings including but not limited to, vision, hearing, language, fine and gross motor skill development, social and emotional and health and physical development for children birth to age three.
Reports to: Parent as Teachers Supervisor
Type: Full-time with full benefits
Schedule: Non-traditional hours as assigned may include some evenings and weekends. Expected to be flexible in terms of scheduling and hours worked. Requires regular work attendance and/or physical presence.
Erie Family Center Core Values and Work Performance functions:
• Adhere to standards of demeanor.
• Exhibit working autonomously.
• Ensure and practice cultural competence.
• Promote positive communication/confidentiality.
• Professional sound judgment and decision-making.
• Display consistent attributes of professionalism.
• Encourage and support cooperation and teamwork.
- The capacity to work supportively and effectively in a team environment, as well as take initiative independently with various tasks and exhibit proven project management skills.
- Strong observation, communication and writing skills to clearly convey information in writing and in person. (Ex.: Microsoft Office skills, Excel)
- The ability to interact with a diverse population of individuals and families professionally and positively.
- Able to utilize technology and virtual formats when necessary.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills with the ability to work accurately and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- High commitment to respect and confidentiality of family information and case details with adhering to a confidential ethics among those who are on a need-to-know basis.
- Building relationship-based partnerships with staff, community, families and clients.
- High commitment with respect to cultural responsiveness and providing a culturally sensitive atmosphere for staff, families and community.
- Support and enhance play groups (Mommy & Me), parent advisory (PAC) meetings, & when required attend community events for program/EFC outreach.
- Tolerance for working in an active environment with many adults and children present.
- Able to adapt to physical requirements to sit and/or stand for prolonged periods, occasionally requires the ability to stoop, bend, lift and reach.
- Program may require travel in and out of Erie County and Pennsylvania.
- Implementation of the Nation Parents as Teachers Center curriculum to fidelity.
- Serve families on a bi-weekly or monthly basis scheduling home visits within the family home or current residence both in person and virtually.
- Timely submission of required program documentation and reporting needed via PENELOPE or other reporting system (these documents include attendance records, home visit notation, screening summaries, etc.) and other documentation required by EFC and program guidelines.
- Assist is reviewing and evaluating results of annual parent surveys and other evaluative measures.
- Referral and coordination of service with other community program with similar purposes to support the family’s individual needs.
- Attend required National Parents as Teachers certification training and successful in becoming PAT certification as well as, any required in-service trainings such as, car seat training, developmental screening training and mandated reporter training as needed.
- Any other duties necessary to support families.
- Bachelor’s degree in early childhood or related human service or social services field, preferred.
- 1-3 years of work experience supporting, collaborating and goal planning with children and families.
Additional Requirements: The candidate must pass a Criminal Record History Clearance, FBI and Child Abuse History Clearance, Mandated Reporter training, possess a valid PA Driver’s License and must pass a physical exam and drug screening.