Purpose: To partner with assigned families to provide personal instruction, demonstrate appropriate educational activities, and deliver research-based printed materials to parents regarding child development and related issues. To conduct child developmental screenings including but not limited to vision, hearing, the understanding and use of language, motor development, hand-eye coordination, & health and physical development for children birth to age three.
Reports to: Parents as Teachers Supervisor
Salary: $36,000 Annually
Start Date: November 15, 2020
• Bachelor’s degree in early childhood, or appropriate social services field required.
• Demonstrated ability to work with adults and their young children.
• Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the board finds appropriate and acceptable.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
a. Provide home visitation services that focus on professional parent instruction and delivery of information to assigned families, implementing the curriculum provided by the National Parents as Teachers Center.
b. Coordinate services with other community programs with similar purposes.
c. Support and enhance the existing Parents as Teachers program.
d. Represent the Erie Family Center at various community events supporting families and/or young children.
e. Support the value of education.
f. Support the philosophy and mission of the Erie Family Center.
g. Support the philosophy and mission of Parents as Teachers.
h. Comply with all Erie Family Center policies, rules and regulations.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions
a. Requires the ability to sit and/or stand for prolonged periods.
b. Occasionally requires the ability to stoop, bend, lift and reach.
c. Requires the ability to travel.
d. Must be able to work in noisy and crowded environments.
e. Requires regular attendance and/or physical presence at the job.
• Implement the curriculum provided by the National Parents as Teachers Center.
• Serve up to 20 families (full-time) which include bi-weekly or monthly home visits within the family home, support and attend programmatic requirements and other assigned tasks per Erie Family Center Director and Parents as Teachers supervisors.
• Complete all required documentation regarding home visits, attendance records for home visits, screening summaries, and other reports requested by Parents as Teachers Supervisors and Erie Family Center Director.
• Coordinate services with other community programs with similar purposes, make recommendations for further screenings, evaluations, etc.
• Support and enhance playgroups (Mommy & Me), parent advisory (PAC) meetings, & when required attend community events involving Parents as Teachers.
• Assist in reviewing and evaluating the results of annual parent surveys and other evaluative measures.
• Adhere to all Erie Family Center health and safety policies.
• Other duties as assigned by Parents as Teachers Supervisors or Erie Family Center Director, which are consistent with the general requirements and qualifications of this position.
• Attend required Parents as Teachers certification training and become certified as a parent educator.
• Attend required follow-up in-service training.
• Attend training and become qualified to administer developmental screenings.